If you are left handed like me…….You gotta be excited……I mean I don’t hear any buzz about Right handers day. So many taboos associated with us! Its the 21st century, love it or move on……lool
The 13th of August is the official left hander’s day.
Brief history of the Left Handed
Stone Age implements discovered seem equally divided between left and right and studies of cave drawings have indicated a preference for the left hand. When tools became more sophisticated, a clear hand preference emerged. The right hand preference may have originated in sun worship.
In the Northern hemisphere you have to face south to follow the sun and move from left to right until the suns sets in the west. This gave moving to the right and the right hand side a great significance. Another theory says that as the heart is on the left hand side, a shield would have to be in the left hand to defend it and any weapon therefore had to be held in the right, which became the dominant hand. Recent theories have included one that right-handedness is the normality and left-handedness is a deficiency which results from a traumatic birth! Left-handers have done quite badly over the years and many old superstitions still survive today.
Left Handed Facts………Did you know…..
2. About 7 percent of the population is left handed, me inclusive, lol
3. Lefties are also called “Southpaws”.
4. In twins, there is a high tendency for one to be left-handed.
5. 1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed.
6. 4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed.
7. Left-handers usually reach puberty 4 to 5 months after right-handers.
8. George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama are all left handed. Ronald Regan was left handed too.
9. Pablo Picasso, Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Leonardo Di Vinci, and Michelangelo were also left handed.
10. Right handed people use the left side of their brains. Left handed people use the right sides of their brains. The way our brains are organised, with the right hemisphere controlling our dominant left-hand, means we do things differently to right-handers. The left hemisphere (RIGHT HAND CONTROL) controls Speech, Language, Writing, Logic, Mathematics, Science, this is the LINEAR THINKING MODE. The right hemisphere (LEFT HAND CONTROL) controls Music, Art, Creativity, Perception, Spatial awareness, Emotions, Genius, this is the HOLISTIC THINKING MODE.
11. According to neurologists, left handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater and their have certainly been many successful left-handed swimmers, including multi -gold medal winner Mark Spitz.
14. Left handed people who have higher I.Q.s tend to have an I.Q. of over 140.
15. In some cultures it is impolite to touch your food with your left hand.
Left-handers often complain that household gadgets such as scissors, tin-openers and even fountain pens are designed for use with the right hand and leave them at a disadvantage.
Some Famous Left-Handers I know Include:
Presidents and Politicians
James A. Garfield (1831-1881) 20th
Herbert Hoover (1874-1964) 31st
Harry S. Truman (1884-1972) 33rd
Gerald Ford (1913-2006) 38th
Ronald Reagan (1911-2004) 40th
George H.W. Bush (1924- ) 41st
Bill Clinton (1946- ) 42nd
Barack Obama (1961- ) 44th
Babatunde Fashola (Lagos State Governor)
Joan of Arc (?), French heroine
Ramses II (?), Egyptian pharaoh
Alexander the Great
Julius Caesar, Roman general
Napoléon Bonaparte (?), French emperor
King Louis XVI of France
Queen Victoria of England
King George II of England
King George VI of England
Prince Charles of England
Prince William of England
Henry Ford, automobile manufacturer
David Rockefeller, banker
John F. Kennedy, Jr., lawyer/publisher
Caroline Kennedy, lawyer/author
Ron Reagan, son of Ronald Reagan
David Letterman (?), host
Richard Simmons, exercise guru
Bart Simpson, cartoon character
[King Edward III of England, due to stroke]
Benjamin Franklin, statesman/publisher/scientist
Steve Forbes, businessman/publisher
Senator Daniel Inouye
Anthony Kennedy, Supreme Court Justice
Leonardo da Vinci
Hans Christian Andersen
Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
Phil Collins (Genesis)
Paul McCartney (the Beatles; Wings)
George Michael (Wham!)
Diego Armando Maradona
Francis X. Gorman (diving)
Greg Louganis (diving)
Mark Spitz (swimming)
Bruce Jenner (decathlon)
Nikita Kohloff (wrestling)
Dorothy Hamill (skating)
Phil Mickelson (while golfing only)
Thomas Voeckler (French), cyclist
James “Gentleman Jim” Corbett
Oscar de la Hoya
Rafael “Bazooka” Limon
Pernell “Sweet Pea” Whitaker
Johnny Herbert (Formula 1 driver)
Terry Labonte (NASCAR race car driver)
Ayrton Senna (Formula 1 driver)
Karl Wendlinger (Formula 1 driver)
Valentino Rossi (motorcycle racer)
Kenneth Carlsen (tennis)
Jimmy Connors (tennis)
Norman Brookes (tennis)
Courtney De Mone (tennis)
Guy Forget (tennis)
Andres Gomez (Santos) (tennis)
Goran Ivanesivic (tennis)
Rod Laver (tennis)
Henri LeConte (tennis)
John McEnroe (tennis)
Thomas Muster (tennis)
Martina Navratilova (tennis) – ambidexterous
Manuel Orantes (tennis)
Niki Pilic (tennis)
Renee Richards (tennis)
Marcello Chino Rios (tennis)
Monica Seles (tennis)
Roscoe Tanner (tennis)
Guillermo Vilas (tennis)
Mark Woodforde (tennis)
Left Handed Actors and Entertainers
Robert De Niro
Source: Lefthander’s day